Saturday, September 18, 2010

30 Minutes to Sunset

I am not a sun-worshipper.
Yet I can’t avoid its taunting glare at noon
as it seeps its scorching rays through the blinds,
or glows in maddening blaze behind curtains,
making their patterns, reverse shadow puppets.
The steady glow dims then turns on as if
10,000 watts empower it in its attempt at mocking
As scarce clouds pass by, the sun hides,
Perchance laughs
Then back again to wreak its intoxicating rage stimulation
Brows knit
Sweat pours
The low hum of the air conditioner offers small comfort
Temporary
Only cooling the coals of unsettling somewhat
Temporary
You try to sleep away this afternoon war
Else rage displaces
Creeping away from my dark veiled room
I can’t help but take a second glance at the hallway
And surrender…
Surrender to the forgotten unexpected
Grandeur of gold
Not brilliant
But soft
Soft gold
A peace offering?
Or another mock gesture?
I am not a sun-worshipper
But I feel bittersweet for sunsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment