Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Pathophysiology of Drowning (She said)

 I. Submersion (Mammalian diving reflex*)
Bradycardia
Cold
Cold was unwelcomed by my overheated cheeks
Cold as your words at 18hit my face,
At once my rapid heart slowed in response
Slowed as if in anticipation of my demise in the surrealism of the situation,
Slowed as acceleration decreased dramatically in my spinning world
That cold splash left me frozen,
I didn’t even realize I was falling,
Sinking,
Almost completely submerged

Peripheral Vasoconstriction
Numb
The slow pumping of my heart, the triggered effect,
A last resort to surviving the depth,
I couldn’t feel my feet, my arms, my hands…
I struggled to walk or at least reach out
But my body won’t let me,
So I stood frozen
A last attempt at self-preservation
Blood Shift
Inspire
Expire
Breathe in
Breathe out
That is what I have been reduced to do
I could feel the blood rushing,
Rushing to the region of my chest between my neck
And diaphragm
To prevent my poor lungs from collapsing,
I am losing
I am losing
Yet my body still fights
II. Oxygen Deprivation
You were my oxygen, the air I breathe
As I watched you walk away I hold my breath
I hold my breath to try to access what air is left
I panicked,
I struggled at the suddenness,
But this voluntary apnea wouldn’t last long.
My body won’t allow it.
But I try anyway,
I was never a fatalist
The concept of ‘you and me’ used to be as easy as breathing
Now that ‘you and me’ doesn’t exist anymore,
Even something as natural as breathing is hard

III. Water inhalation
Two choices
One end
I could swallow your words and my pride along with it,
I could cough out all the spite, all the frustrations, all the hurt,
Just so I don’t drown
But either way, any choice would only quicken the drowning,
Quicken by unintentionally inhaling more water
Either way, it’s too late
I’m in too deep
The hurt of the situation has entered my airways,
Seeping in, flooding me
My body attempts again to sustain me
Blocking the hurt,
Slowing the drowning
IV. Unconsciousness
Hypoxia
The lack of oxygen to the brain,
The lack of my brand of oxygen,
Would eventually render me unconscious
I am already cold
I am already numb
I am already tired
Sleep is welcoming
My vision is blacking out,
I see spots of white,
I see gray,
I see black
What I don’t see,
Is you
 V. Cardiac Arrest and Death
You’re gone
You’re really gone
The truth of your absence overpowered me
It’s so strong
So strong that in your absence my heart stopped
There really is no more reason for beating
There is still time for recovery
My body is screaming at me
But at this moment, I won’t let it
I had enough
In six minutes or less my brain will die,
I will die
Finally succumbing into the water,
I’m letting go
See the irony
I’m drowning in deep,
I’m drowning in the subterranean of my reasons,
I’m drowning in your shallow waters of reason.
It’s amazing how you still manage to take my breath away,
In more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment